Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Guy

I want to tell you about the person I am proud of most. His name is Curtis Gaynor and we've been close for 10 whole years. He still blows me away with what an amazing man he's become. I get to see many sides of him and am honored to be dating him.

We've been long distance, but now there's a new twist on things. Today, we said goodbye for the 143rd time (or so it seems). But this time, he's off to Japan to serve as an ensign officer in the Navy. In part, I cope by bragging about him. It gives me back the perspective of why he has to be gone. I have a selfish side that wants him with me always. But I wouldn't have our lives be any other way. I'm too proud of his adventures.

He's been in ROTC at the University of Michigan for the past 4 years. It has really matured him beyond his high school days. He's had the opportunity to serve in various leadership roles, ending as the XO (executive officer, 2nd in command) for his battalion. I rarely got to see him in action, but he tells me his leadership philosophies and they are fantastic.

At the beginning of May, he was commissioned by president Obama himself, handed off the baton to his minors, and got his first salute.



Oh and he received a sword for outstanding leadership. No big deal. : P


Curt's a great dancer. He took a ballroom class at school and loved it, so he invested himself in learning swing. This past week, we went out dancing twice and got complimented a ton. I tell people it's all him; I just follow a great lead. We went out to Diamondback Saloon in Belleville, MI, and the lead singer of their house band approached us to tell us how cute we were dancing. Ha.



I am also proud of his chivalry. Oh it is not dead. I have proof. When I'm with him, I never have to open a door, not because I am unable, but because I'm a beautiful woman and should be treated with the utmost care. I'm also not allowed to forget how beautiful I am. I couldn't, with someone telling me every 5 minutes.

Curtis is the biggest goofball. For how mature he is, he never takes himself too seriously.

Senior prom.
He wouldn't stop blowing on my neck until I agreed to mess up a formal picture with him.

Yup, that would be an entire cupcake going into his mouth ...


He connects well with people. He just does. Any kind of person. In a group, Curt will talk to the person he knows the least until he knows all about them. He pursues people like it's his job, and truly finds joy in it.

Like me, Curt's a dreamer. We fit together well because we're both ambitious - but I dream the dreams and he thinks of the practicalities of how to make them a reality.

And most important, Curt loves God. In 7th grade, he was the one who showed me who God really is and inspired me to pursue relationship with Him. Curt's life has been one of pursuing God and pursuing true Church. His faith is unlike any other that I've seen.

All these words are nothing compared to experiencing him. So I hope someday you'll get to meet Curt. He's memorable by his character and his charisma; and you'll be glad to know him.

2 comments:

Jamie Arpin-Ricci said...

Geez, I wanna marry him now! (wink) Glad he makes you so happy.

Peace,
Jamie

Carrie said...

: ) Thanks Jamie. I sure do miss him, but he's worth waiting for.

And heck, I miss you too!! So many of you to miss!!