Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Education.

I really appreciate people with higher education. Ph.D.'s. Career academics. But I don't want it for myself. I want to graduate, yes. But the sooner, the better.

I'm pretty tired of having to focus on things I don't care about, thus not being able to focus on the things I want to invest in. I want life experience. And it would be great to read a book of my own choosing for once.

I don't want to go to grad school. I don't. At first, I thought this was selfish. Knowledge is power; am I really equipping myself well enough to change the world? To fulfill my passions?

Ask me this now and I'll say yes. I follow my heart now. I accept what it says. God puts things there, right?

I think part of me still hopes that someday I'll want grad school. : )

I'm surrounded every day with ridiculously smart people. People with research projects and fellowships. Post docs and professors. With immense knowledge on how the world works far beyond anything I could understand (and that's okay). People with academic ambitions. I'm finally realizing and accepting that my ambitions are just different.

I like being in control of how I learn. I just learn. I just do. I think. And ponder. And sift. And filter. School has become hindering. Because it takes away my time to self-educate and tries to fit me into a different mold. I don't want to read that book or do that problem or make that calculation because I'm pretty sure none of it will help me learn anything. Except for an exam that won't help me actually learn anything either.

In light of this, I really appreciate these secrets from post-secret:



ha.


No comments: