Sunday, November 1, 2009

Looks like I'll have to be more intentional



I've started to feel the lack of me time. Finding myself. Continuing to get to know who I am. Being alone with intentions to be poured into. This is was DTS and the time between then and now was all about.

And then I got to school.

Physics. Lit. Sociology. Homework. Papers. Exams. Studying. Task after task after task.

And me being the task master I am, I plow through them as best I can. Since me time isn't a task, per say, it gets back burnered.

Until I start to feel it. It's like a slump. A depression. An emptiness. A void. It feels gross and suffocating at the same time. It's no fun.

I was intentional this summer at camp about getting my quiet times in. Because our QT's rocked and finally I was learning that I need them. Apparently part of me is unlearning that. Blah.

So Friday, I was feeling that depression, that void. So I did something along the lines of one of our quiet times at camp. I encourage you to try it sometime, because it's unlike anything else I've ever done with Jesus.

I've talked about it in an older post, but I'll explain it again. It's called Java with Jesus. Baha. The idea is that you have a coffee date with Jesus. You can do soda or a walk in the park or whatever you would do on a day with a friend. Just something to get yourself to imagine a physical Jesus walking, sitting, sipping with you. You have to make a physical space for Jesus to be. It's something to get you to look into his eyes and hear his voice; and even though those physical things aren't there, you somehow still experience them. You might be surprised by how real He can become.

I went to the Union on campus, got a coffee, and sat in the Paul Bunyon room. I was sitting in a booth, so I was pretty enclosed, and had Jesus sit across the table from me.

He was so real. So present.

I'm not sure how, and I feel weird saying this, but I could hear Him to the point that He was making me laugh. I didn't literally LoL or anything because there were other people around me, but Jesus surely was pouring into me with humor, and with encouragement and affirmation.

Example of His humor. Before I started my Java with Jesus, I was working on Physics (which I'm not crazy about in any sense). So as we "sat" down, I moved my Physics stuff from right where Jesus was sitting and in my head apologized to Him like I would anyone else. Oh, sorry about my Physics stuff in your way. And He said, Nah it's ok. I created it. Baha! Oh yeah!

He was sarcastic. He was romantic. He was, and is always, everything I need. Phew, I feel so much better and am left wondering why I don't let Him take care of me more often.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing that. An encouraging reminder.

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca

P.S. I know I am going to sound like a broken record, but you REALLY need to add more comment options. Ask Crystal how.