Monday, August 31, 2009

Phew...

I was on the other side of campus yesterday (which at this point seems across the world!) running some errands before a transfer student retreat. I had some time to kill before it started, so I sat down on the steps of the Pyle Center, which is in a busy area, and journaled a bit. I want to share with you what I wrote because I feel like it's a good depiction of how content and good I feel about being here.

"I think I'm really gonna like it here. The different kinds of people are endless. I've seen people who talk to themselves in public. People who think they're too cool. Homeless people. I've seen weed [no worries, ma! Not offered to me.]. I just want to be engulfed and I feel like I am. The world's issues and its hurting people need servitude. Servitude requires exposure. Real exposure. Not the fake crap the suburbs claim. Oh thank God I'm not in the 'burbs!

"I've only been here two days. Not to say I'm fully adjusted or feeling at home yet, but I already feel a sense of purpose. There's a reason I'm here. Heck, there are probably a few. This is what's good and right and despite feeling a bit intimidated still, I feel like I'm supposed to be here. Or at least it's really good that I am.

"Haha. Just now, two guys on crotch rockets were in traffic in front of where I'm sitting. They had full helmets on and [despite being unable to speak] one [guy] waved to me. I waved back so he pointed to the seat behind him [as to invite me for a ride]. It made me laugh, but I declined : ). I love cute and funny moments like that.

"Hmmm. I need depth. I'm so irritated already with people who are obnoxious so they'll get attention. Trying to impress people. Gosh be real! I need something real.

"[On the other hand], I like that most people here just do their own thing. In general, people seem to be committed to who they really are, who that may be..."

... aaaand then I ran out of paper. : )

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca