Saturday, April 11, 2009


School searching is difficult. Really difficult. I'm starting to see the sacrifices and I feel like a fool for not seeing them coming. Who thought this would be easy? I thought I would maybe go to a less expensive school and it would be a relief. But what I'm finding is that Hamline isn't so expensive after all - especially with the financial aid I was getting. After aid I don't have to pay back (scholarships + grants), I ended up with about $7,000 to pay not living on campus. Welp, that's pretty darn good for a private school where you get loads of one-on-one attention. Good deal - but is God calling me to give that up for something better?

I know nothing comes before my God. But does He always ask me to give up good deals? I don't think so... but sometimes He says, Ok you can go for this good deal, or you can give that up for My best. What'll it be?

Eek!

This is the part where I discern what is better. Where I am to go. Do I really have to transfer schools? I feel like I want to, but staying at Hamline may suffice (no idea) and would be more comfortable.

See, that sentence right there makes me cringe. OoooOOOooooh comfort!!

But is all this education worth spending more money on? On DTS, my eyes were opened to how DANG expensive school in the States is. And more expensive than HU. I almost passed out when I saw UC-Santa Barbara. You ready?

$48,000

GUH!!!

I won't find a better deal out there - but is that the sacrifice that God's best requires?

I know, Lord, that our lives are not our own.
We are not able to plan our own course.
(Jeremiah 10:23)

[lots going on in my head right now. give me a shoutout in your prayers. :P]

2 comments:

Jamie said...

We are praying. It can be really scary making the decisions that will shape the rest of your life- and money plays a big part in that. Keep pressing in. Ultimately, if you seek His will and make a decision as best you can, I believe God will honour that. If that doesn't work, you can come stay with us! (wink)

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca

Carrie said...

Thanks Jamie. It's so encouraging to have such support. Trust me - it's more than I can say. Your puts put me at ease for now. :)