Friday, April 10, 2009

Old friends

At our tennis banquet
Janine, Christa, Angie, Sarah, Andrea, Me

I went out for dinner a couple nights ago with people I grew up with. I was the first to move on the block when I was one and a half. Andrea (Andi - check the photo above) moved in kiddie corner a few years later. Next came Angie, who was down the street. The three of us (plus a few other kids) did everything together. It was bliss. I became friends with Sarah, my best friend now, when we were in 7th grade. The four of us sat and talked at Perkins for three hours on Wednesday. Catching up and laughing our heads off about memories and what idiotic things we would do when we were little.

We haven't seen each other (besides Sarah and me, who see each other just about every day) in about three years.

Again, it was bliss.

What was amazing to see on DTS was how a bunch of people who are different than each other coming together. No two of us were like each other. But we fit. We worked. It didn't matter how different we were - we all had one thing in common, and that brought us together more than any differences could separate us.

I felt it with my girls on Wednesday. We're all so different. We grew up. We went to university. We moved out. A few of us are working full time like "adults." Ha. We grew apart (that happened even in high school), which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But whenever we come together, it fits. We're different, but it works. I love seeing that. We came from the same place, our roots are intertwined. So we still fit. And I'm pretty sure we always will.

Contact an old friend --- you'll be glad you did.

No comments: