Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's been a while...

So a month has past since coming home from DTS. Despite it only being a month, a LOT has happened. A lot has changed. Oof, I'm overwhelmed!!

I've been taking it slowly adjustment-wise. Reverse culture shock was definitely a lot worse than I thought it would be. As soon as I hit my Chicago layover on my way back to Minneapolis, I started to hate things... like when McDonald's gives you enough ketchup and napkins for 10 people. Argh!! I'm slowly becoming more comfortable with the way America works. I'm trying to be proud of my culture again without becoming so comfortable that I accept the bad things about our country. It's a difficult balance. Shopping's not the same... being around friends isn't the same... church isn't the same. There's just a whole ballpark of stuff that's part of my "home" that just isn't the same. It's weird. Carolyn and I were talking back and forth on facebook and she said it well --- I do the same things I did before I left for DTS, but doing them feels funny.

I thought I had my ducks in a row before leaving DTS. The plan was to finish up at Hamline, not do full-time summer camp staff, and find a job. Oh, how everything has been shaken!! I feel my education at Hamline is limited - especially now that I've been encouraged in my passions and am ready to study exotic animals. I'm hoping to transfer and study Zoology. I know... hhhwhat?? That's what I said, too. It makes sense, except the fact that I was dead set on going back to Hamline. I now have a giant list of schools that offer zoology. And now I have to attempt to narrow it down to a few!! I feel terrified --- going to a big school, which I'll probably have to do, will be a good experience but has never been my cup of tea. I thrive in small environments. But I'm willing to risk that to study what I feel is right.

I'm also doing camp this summer. Ha - everything seems to be going in the opposite direction of what I thought I'd be doing. Basically, all my excuses for not applying started to disintegrate and I was left saying no simply for the sake of saying no. And when there's need for camp?? I just couldn't stand it.

Sarah and I went to Colorado for a week to visit our friends, Paul and Kathi, and their kids, Joshua and Jillian. What a great week. They're all people that are so understanding, patient, and... hilarious. : ) There was no pressure to tell DTS stories or to talk about DTS at all. It just flowed naturally. Plus, Paul went to Tanzania last May so we were able to story swap!! It was a relaxing week that I needed. Praise God for that.

Josh (eating the sign...), Sarah, Jillian, and me at the Garden of the Gods - gorgeous!


Climbing!!

One of the women at their church has a GOAT FARM!!
So naturally, we went to play with baby goats!!
Yup, Jill's hair being eaten...


Mmm... jicama...




SO funny.


Josh, Sarah, me, Jill


The week was full of fun games!!
Yessss DICEcapades

Saying goodbye at the airport. We were on standby on a flight (we caught an earlier flight to miss the nasty weather) and got split up. I flew out in the morning and Sarah flew out at night. Weird...

Life after DTS seems to be exhausting. Between telling story upon story (don't get me wrong - I love it!), missing DTS, hating the States, finding a job until summer?, searching out a new school, and just wanting to get out of here again, I get pretty tired. Not fun. Some days are good, some aren't so much. But I'm adjusting, and thinking, and continuing to learn. And letting my heart just be what it is.

I know there's more... but I'll let it flow out as I think of things I'm pondering.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Great to see you writing again. We've been praying for you guys a lot. Please let us know if we can help with the transitional stuff.

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca

P.S. Not sure how you are going to afford school, since you keep paying that "Sarah" actress to hang out for photos.

Carrie said...

LoL!! Didn't Michelle tell you that Sarah "seems" real?? Isn't that enough?!? Haha.

Jamie said...

Actually, what Michelle said was "...and she even had a fake ID."

Peace,
Jamie