Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Not Your Typical Office

11.22.10


Yesterday, we had a much-needed day off! We went to Kimana Wildlife Sanctuary, one of the places my research group had worked this week. I decided to go even though I had seen wildlife there during my work because we were planning to go see their LIONS! KWS takes care of four lionesses and 1 male lion (named Boy) whose parents were lost to retaliatory killing (pastoralists kill lions who hunt their livestock). They’re kept in enclosures, but KWS hopes to eventually release them in Tsavo National Park.


They were amazing. And they were angsty because they were about to be fed. The male just kept pacing back and forth and rubbing himself on the fence (which allowed me to touch him, woohoo!). The officers slaughter a goat and give each of the five lions a portion. They don’t allow the lions to hunt the goat because one would make the kill and then dominate the meat.


They first brought a goat head and leg to Boy. The lions were going nuts. Crazy. Roaring and grumbling. Gimme food! The meat is put in smaller enclosures, and the lion accesses it once a door is pulled back. As the officer was putting the meat in, Boy jumped up on the fence and ROARED at him. Phew! When he was allowed in, he hurried to the goat, but then stood over it. I’m not sure why, but my best guess is to claim it. He has no competition because he’s kept separate from the females, so he can take his time.


Watching him eat was so intriguing. Bones crunching. Meat tearing. Boy’s wrinkled nose. He ate every last ounce, bones and all.


The females were more vicious in receiving their meat. As the meal was put into the enclosure, they were winding in and out of each other as they paced back and forth, their eyes never leaving the meat. They darted in as fast as they could until each of them got a healthy portion.


It was amazing.


11.23.10


Day 5 in the field.


Today was definitely the most hard core day in the field. Unfortunately, it also means that it was the most exhausting and dangerous. We worked in Elerai Rupet Wildlife Sanctuary, and it’s a beast. It’s 52 square kilometers and full of shrub grassland. In our section, I was up to my waist and sometimes my chest in grass. We had to battle thorns upon thorns upon thorns. The worst was all the way in on the back of my knee, about a centimeter. Mmm, fun.


I also fell in a few holes. They were actually pretty hilarious, the things we were having to deal with. But in the back of my mind, I was pretty concerned over snakes. Tall grass is all too perfect. Yikes. At one point, I looked to my left about two feet and saw a reptilian tail slide into the grass. I have no idea what kind of snake it was, or if it’s venomous. Eek!


Other than the scary stuff, we saw 8 giraffe, 4 elephants, 4 impala, and a LOT of Kilimanjaro. Yeh, I worked under Kili today and it took my breath several times.

No comments: