Sunday, October 18, 2009

Home?



My best friend, Sarah, came to visit me this weekend. It was wonderful.

It was also weird. She's part of my home. But I've also made a sort of home here in Madison. The home that Sarah is is different from the Madison home. So it was almost a strange clashing of worlds in my head.

And then there was DTS. Furby Street became my home. I missed it more than home home when I was on outreach in Uganda. And each person that was on DTS with me embodies Winnipeg home.

I feel I have all these places and people that make me feel home. And they're scattered. I have one in Brisbane, Australia. They're all over Canada. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio.

And it's so surreal and unnatural when two of your separate homes are together. Like Sarah in Madison. It's fun to have a friend from home in your home away from home, but it makes you miss the home they came from all the more. And you feel out of place - which I am NOT blaming Sarah for, nor am I saying it's a bad thing. I guess what I'm trying to say is simply that the different contexts of my life are separated in my head. When they come together, it's strange.

Yes, I'm confused too. : )

Thanks for letting me process.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

This is a pretty natural phase we all go through. You will likely have several "homes" for the next few years. It can be hard, but incredibly enriching. Let yourself get wooed by the uniqueness of each new place and its people.

And remember, you are ALWAYS welcome here in Winnipeg... at home.

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca

Carrie said...

: ) Thanks, Jamie. Can't wait to come home again.

Jamie said...

We talked about you at supper last night with the DTS ("TONGA, TONGA, TONGA!!!") and wondered if you'd ever wander this way. We miss you!

Peace,
Jamie
www.missional.ca

Carrie said...

Baha!! Oh bunny bunny. What a fantastic game : ) I miss you guys, too. So much.

Maybe I'll drag Sarah Paquin into a road trip. January perhaps?