Monday, August 16, 2010

Protected

I'm leaving the country soon [more to come on this!].

Since it's my last week in Madison until next spring, I received a travel blessing at my church. It was actually one of the most beautiful things I've been a part of and if nothing else, it calmed me a great deal from the nerves of going abroad.

They called a group of us up, including those going to camp for the week and me, going to Tanzania and Kenya for a semester. Ha - little bit of a difference. The priest said a prayer over us and sprinkled each person with holy water saying, "God bless you out of Zion." I got extra sprinkles because I'm going further. Ha!

My favorite thing about the blessing was that I was assigned a guardian angel. So amazing. Any nervousness I've been feeling in the last day has been mellowed by the thought that I have my own angelic being watching over me. I know (but surely underestimate) that God watches over me but having Him command His angels concerning me (Ps. 91:11) is something so ... specific.

I'll leave you with an Orthodox prayer to your guardian angel that I've noticed. I think it's beautiful, and it's opened my eyes a bit more to the world of mystical beings.

O angel of God, my holy guardian, given to me from heaven, enlighten me this day, and save me from all evil. Instruct me in doing good deeds, and set me on the path of salvation. Amen.

O angel of Christ, holy guardian and protector of my soul and body, forgive me everything wherein I have offended you every day of my life, and protect me from all influence and temptation of the evil one. May I never again anger my God by my sins. Pray for me to the Lord, that He may make me worthy of the grace of the All-Holy Trinity, and of the blessed Mother of God, and of all the saints. Amen.

No comments: